CELA Accessibility Award
The Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) is Canada’s most comprehensive accessible reading service, providing books and other materials to Canadians with print disabilities in the formats of their choice. CELA gives access to over 800,000 professionally produced titles to provide people with print disabilities with a quality library experience.
Each year CELA works with the TD Summer Reading Club program to develop the accessible elements of the program. These materials are distributed to libraries to assist them in developing inclusive programming for kids of all abilities.
Since 2017, CELA and its partners have offered an annual award to recognize libraries with accessible TD Summer Reading Club programs. There is one award for English programming and another for French programming. The award celebrates libraries that:
- make their reading activities and programs inclusive to children of all abilities
- find creative ways to engage children with print disabilities in their TD Summer Reading Club program
- connect readers with accessible formats of TD Summer Reading Club titles
- develop community partnerships that strengthen access to materials and programming for children with print disabilities
2019 Moose Jaw Public Library, SK (English)
2018 Cochrane Public Library, ON (English)
Bibliothèque de Saint-Léonard, QC (French)
2017 Bibliothèque Jean-Lapierre, QC (French)
CELA offers a $500 cash prize to each winning library. These prizes are generously donated by their sponsors:
Winners are announced on the CELA and TD Summer Reading Club websites.
Who is eligible to apply for the Awards?
To apply, you must:
- be a public library (or a public library branch) that participated in the TD Summer Reading Club during the year of application
- have offered the TD Summer Reading Club program for at least six weeks that summer
- have clearly identified the TD Summer Reading Club in all promotional and programming materials, as outlined in the detailed brand guidelines
- be prepared to promote your TD Summer Reading Club program and share your strategies and successes through workshops and/or on the program website
The winners from any given year will not be eligible for prizes in the following year.
Participating libraries may submit one application per year and must choose either the English or the French stream.
How to apply
1. Complete the TD Summer Reading Club Accessibility Award Application form.
2. Include essential supporting documentation to substantiate your application. The documentation should effectively describe your program and can include photographs, letters, statistics, news articles, copies of website pages, newsletters, promotional materials, or other appropriate materials.
3. Submit this package to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2021.
Evaluation criteria for the CELA Accessibility Award
Applicants will be evaluated according to all of the following evaluation criteria. Your program description and supporting documentation must provide evidence of how your library met these:
- Used the accessible program materials (e.g. Accessible Notebook) to offer inclusive and accessible TD Summer Reading Club events and activities.
- Made staff, volunteers and summer students aware of accessible resources to offer equitable library services.
- Improved the literacy and library engagement of children with print disabilities as a result of delivering an accessible TD Summer Reading Club program.
- Promoted and gave children access to and promoted accessible materials (e.g. DAISY text, DAISY audio books, braille) of various genres, formats and reading levels that were geared to their interests, abilities and experiences.
- Developed innovative outreach strategies to include the print disabled community and engaged with various groups of children or community groups (Learning Disability Associations, CNIB, etc.) in your targeted age groups.
CELA invites library staff, parents, or professionals working with children with print disabilities to join the selection committee. Contact email@example.com for more information.